Manuscript critique, revision guidance, story and craft consultation.
Our developmental editing program pairs you with experienced developmental editors, writing teachers, and literary agents to help you craft a book that reaches its fullest potential and has the best chance of success in the marketplace. While the process varies based on your needs, objectives, budget, and preferred working method, steps may include:
- A preliminary review to assess your manuscript’s needs
- In-depth annotative and evaluative feedback to help you execute revisions guided by highly specific comments and suggestions
- Guidance and coaching on writing technique and points of literary craft relevant to your manuscript
- Supporting feedback from literary agents to explore and maximize your project’s commercial potential with mainstream publishers
- Consultation with your editor(s) as needed by phone or e-mail to discuss questions, ideas, problems, possible solutions, or next steps
- Follow-up feedback on new drafts to make sure you’re on track and to identify new opportunities for improvement
At the conclusion of the development process your manuscript should be exceptionally sound in concept, content, structure, and overall execution, and it should be ready for final polishing and correction.
Pricing for developmental editing services starts at $.01 per word and is based on the scope, depth, and nature of the work involved and your preferred method of receiving feedback. (We can generally work with you by phone, editorial letter, in-manuscript annotations, or any combination, and you can read more about how the developmental editing process works and what to expect from it here.) We provide written no-cost/no-obligation quotes based on careful consideration of your manuscript’s needs and the programs, services, and editors that best fit what you’re trying to accomplish.
Written critique and phone consultation assessing the overall effectiveness of a manuscript’s opening.
Detailed critique and guidance on revision via editorial memo and comments placed throughout the manuscript.
Pricing starts at $.014 per word
Editorial memo assessing commercial and literary potential and areas for improvement.
Pricing starts at $.01 per word
Please visit our online welcome center or call us at (520) 546-9992.